The history of Facem is that of a family business forged in metal. Since 1938, in the historic heart of Italy’s metal industry, Canavese, we have been the benchmark in the field of hot and warm steel forging and for the planning of new solutions for the engineering and motor industry. Experience, productive strength and extreme attention to quality are the values upon which we base our work every day at our facilities in Forno Canavese and Valperga, with an innovating spirit that maintains all the energy of the company’s origins. This is not only the history of a company. We know, in any industrial venture men and machines are intertwined together, the strength of the inventions and the ability of “doing”, but, for many reasons, what our brand embodies is something different:
The three crossed swords, our symbol since the beginning, appeared in 1894 on one of the first Italian coffee grinders, born together with the trend for espresso that was spreading in those years. Next to this, we developed other products, always linked to the preservation of food: meat grinders, baggers, squeezers, pepper mills.
In the same years, in large cities the first cars began to run and the company soon understood this revolution: since 1906 our company became one of the pioneers in the field of automobile mechanics, producing cars with the Tre Spade brand. Forged components took place and, since then, they represent our soul.
The entire production, both for cars and household products, was performed in-house. The cast iron foundry for grinders, woodworking for pepper mills, forges for mechanical components. It is from this embryo that predominantely took place the hot steel forging business. This led in 1938 to restructure the corporate structure and change the company name from the original Fratelli Bertoldo to FACEM, acronym for “Fabbrica Articoli casalinghi E Metallurgici (literally Factory for Household and Metallurgical Items).
In the sixthies, with the italian industrial boom, FACEM plays a key role, becoming the leading supplier of Piaggio and Vespa. Hot forging becomes the main activity of the company.
Technological innovation never stops and after almost 100 years of activity, also the last hammer is dismissed in favor of mechanical presses.
The historical site of Forno Canavese is at this point insufficient to contain the company that is growing and in 2001 begins the construction of the new productive plant in Valperga.
The company is enriched in terms of competitive skills and know-how with the introduction of the first heat treatment line. FACEM patents also the innovative anneiling process Gleimax®, able to reduce the time and cost of treatment.
The ninth and most recent production line is introduced: a 2500 ton mechanical press with antropomorphic robots that increases the dimensiona range of feasible products. The company is added to the registry of Italian Historical Companies (Registro delle Imprese Storiche)
The sales team moves to the new offices in the Valperga plant, a perfect location to welcome our customers.
The Valperga Plant has been doubled, with the creation of a new Logistics Department, with the aim to centralize all the shipping operations.